Friday 30 November 2012

Gingerbread Men {Weekend Cookbook}

I love to cook and I especially love to bake. I've tried to cut back on it recently as it wasn't doing anyone's waistlines a favour but every so often I can't help myself. Gingerbread men are a favourite of my son. I figure that it's better that I make them rather than buying them because at least I know exactly what has gone into them. And if you use a good, air tight container (which is where my tupperware obsession comes into its own!) then they last really well. 

I've been using this recipe for so long I can't remember where it originally came from - it's handwritten in my recipe book. My guess is that it came from the Taste website though - they have lots of gingerbread men recipes.

Gingerbread Men (or Gingerbread People ;))

125g butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Icing
1 egg white
2 cups icing sugar

Optional: smarties or m&ms to decorate

Place butter, sugar and golden syrup in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.

Add the egg yolk and mix until just combined.



In a separate bowl combine flour, ginger, cinnamon and cloves and mix.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mix and stir until almost combined. Use your hands to knead the dough until smooth.

Divide the dough into two portions (this is to make it more workable - it's not the easiest dough to work with & is usually quite crumbly).



Roll out one portion to approximately 0.5cm thick.

Cut out shapes and place on a tray lined with baking paper. 



Repeat with second portion of dough

Bake for 10-12 minutes 

Icing

Place egg white in a small bowl and whisk. Gradually add icing sugar, stirring between each addition until a smooth paste forms. Add food colouring if desired. Use a piping bag to decorate cooled gingerbread men.

Enjoy! (there's no photos of the finished product because...well, we ate them before I remembered!)

Linking up with Mummy's Undeserved Blessings - Weekend Cookbook

3 comments:

  1. My daughter has been begging me to do this, it's so hard to find the time this year now that she's started school. Might try and fit this recipe in though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah!
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been looking for a good gingerbread recipe to try, some are too floury, some too dry... I'll give yours a go! I love gingerbread, and I'm pretty sure my kids will love it too, once I find the right recipe :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Gingerbread men recipe going up on the blog tomorrow. These look great too. Thanks for linking up with the weekend cookbook. Very excited to have you there :)

    ReplyDelete